Saturday, December 1, 2012

getting started with request tracker and gmail

I had used request tracker at my former work place as a user. This was my first time installing it. Ubuntu 12.04 provided a smooth install experience. The slight surprise here is that the main package is not named rt4 but request-tracker4.

The documents that guided me on this are:
  • Installing Request Tracker 4 on Debian
    This blog gives a good account of installing request tracker on debian for a using a custom email domain.
  • GmailAndExim4 on the debian wiki
    It has a good breakdown of how to setup exim4 to send emails to a smarthost. I adapted the instructions to work with gmail.
  • Gmail POP3 with Fetchmail
    The fetchmail configuration given by the first source does not show how to connect fetchmail via SSL. This document shows a configuration that can be used for gmail.
In my setup, an email is sent to a gmail account (mfano@gmail.com) which fetchmail logs on to and delivers the email to the request tracker queue. Once request tracker has processed the email, it sends it out using a local account address (rt4@localhost). Exim4 takes over at this stage and delivers the email to gmail using smtp.

Still trying to figure out how the comment email will be sent via exim4 as it appears that one account will be used to send all emails that match the google dns.

Default Queue Settings
These were provided in the debconf wizard during the rt installation.

Queue settings (Local email account)











/etc/email-addresses
rt4:mfano@gmail.com
rt4@localhost:
mfano@gmail.com
rt4@app-server:
mfano@gmail.com

/etc/fetchmailrc
poll pop.gmail.com protocol pop3
   username "mfano@gmail.com" password "siri" options ssl
   mda "/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action correspond --url http://localhost/rt/"
   no keep
;

/etc/exim4/passwd.client

*.google.com:mfano@gmail.com:siri

8 comments:

  1. Hi Eric, I wrote the Installing Request Tracker 4 of Debian guide and appreciate the feedback. I have updated the guide to reflect that each email setup is different, and added a few links for SSL/Authentication.

    If you have any further feedback or comments let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update Ben. I have edited the post to reflect your comments.

      Delete
    2. Bean C., Can you please post the link of ur post. I didn't find that one and I am searching for that

      Delete
  2. Hi
    I am trying to install request tracker 4 in ubuntu 12.04. I intend to use it in an university environment. Any help is appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email configuration. We use google apps for email. i now need to figure out how to configure authentication and ssl to work with google apps.

      Delete
    2. Hi, sorry for the delay. Please send me an email on protosoftke@gmail.com.

      Delete
    3. updated post with exim4 (outgoing) and fetchmail (incoming) configuration for a gmail account.

      Delete